Tuesday, November 15, 2005

I buy loads of music and I am strong believer that one of the best ways to discover new music is by recommendation. I have a long list of MP3 blogs which I read every now and then and get to sample really interesting music that way. And I buy music because I have “sampled” tracks from these blogs.

Another way I put myself in the path of new music is that I buy CDs for the most stupid reason you could choose music for; I buy covers I like. They don’t have to be marvels of graphic design; they just have to be a bit quirky.

Obviously this is a recipe for getting some really annoying things you would never want to listen to again but I have been lucky many times and I am going to share with you today some of the good things I have bought because I liked the cover.

Click on small to see big and right-click and save as for the music links.
------------------------------

Iron & Wine / Woman King
Freedom Hangs Like Heaven
------------------------------

Mr. David Viner / This Boy Don’t Care
This Boy Don’t Care
------------------------------

Wir Sind Helden / Von Hier an Blind
(this is a German band, the name means We Are Heroes which is, combined with the fact that the cover is very Tin Tin like, enough of a reason to buy the album).
Gekommen um zu bleiben (here to stay)
------------------------------

Whitey / The Light At The End Of The Tunnel Is A Train
Non Stop
------------------------------

Sébastien Tellier / Politics
(The single La Ritournelle is great. Someone on the iTunes store review thingy even compares it to Massive Attack’s Unfinished Sympathy, the whole album is really difficult to pin down, it is all over the chart and goes everywhere).

Benny
------------------------------

PINE*am / Pull The Rabbit Ears
(it turned out to be weird Japanese pop)
Rhyme Mime
------------------------------

Erin McKeown / Distillation
Queen Of Quiet