Friday, August 13, 2004

Informed Comment mentioned in a recent post Ibrahim al-Jafaari’s comment concerning the presence of coalition forces in Najaf:

"I call for multinational forces to leave Najaf and for only Iraqi forces to remain there," Jafari said in remarks broadcast on al-Jazeera satellite television network on Wednesday. "Iraqi forces can administer Najaf to end this phenomenon of violence in this city that is holy to all Muslims." [from Reuters]

It was picked upon by the Arabic news channels as well. They all see in this probably a rift in the Iraqi government since Allawi is actually FOR military intervention in Najaf if the current situation stays as it is.
The truth is that I was a bit surprised when I first saw that statement on the Arabiya news ticker. But later I read the full quote, I think the second part of the statement is indicative of something. Read it again:
"Iraqi forces can administer Najaf to end this phenomenon of violence in this city that is holy to all Muslims."


Now put this together with the news that the big attack on central Najaf has been delayed and I think I see something there. My thoughts are that they are going to get more Iraqis to join on the attack and they will be the ones who will enter the holy city. Problem solved, not the infidel occupier but the Iraqi forces will go into the city and “administer”; whatever Mr. Jaafari meant by that.